Thursday, July 30, 2009

Anyone (male) take Dutas or Avodart for thinning hair?

I've been taking generic Avodart called Dutas (dutasteride) bought from Dr. Reddy's online pharmacy for nearly two years. My hair went through the normal shedding cycle, which told me it was working. It eventually stopped and my hair actually filled in pretty well. All of a sudden, a few weeks ago the shedding began again and there is once again noticeable thinning in the crown area. This is after two years when I thought it'd be over. The hairs falling out are thinner and finer than my "good" hairs, so maybe they are old DHT affected ones that are just now being replaced by new, "good" ones, or maybe the Dutas has stopped working and I'm losing what I gained over the past two years. Should I continue and wait it out, or stop taking the pills? Am I getting ripped off with bogus meds by some Indian online pharmacy?



Anyone (male) take Dutas or Avodart for thinning hair?

As far as I know the only proven systemic medication effective in stopping hair loss is Propecia. Propecia stops hair loss by interfering in the breakdown of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone. Dihydro is what causes atrophy of the hair follicles. Testosterone is what creates the male type characteristics. So it stops hair loss without interfering in the action of testosterone on the body.



I'm 48 and have been taking it for 8 years. It has totally stopped all my hair loss. Don't know anything about Dutas but I would be skeptical of any drug not investigated by the FDA that makes claims of stopping hair loss. Traveling salesmen have been peddling snake oils for hundreds of years to sell to people who are willing to grasp for anything to deal with a problem that causes emotional pain.



My advice is to flush the Dutas down the toilet. Go see a dermatolgist and get on Propecia. IT WORKS! One word of warning. It ain't cheap. Probably about 50 to 60 bucks a month. FOREVER if you wan't to keep your hair forever.



Anyone (male) take Dutas or Avodart for thinning hair?

Sounds OK to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment